Monday, September 7, 2009

6 month anniversary

On Thursday, September 3 Darci hit her 6 month mark for having diabetes. In some ways it feels like she's always had this disease and in other we still feel like such novices in understanding it.
The day of the anniversary I found myself feeling very reflective. I had/have such a jumble of memories of the day she was diagnosed. I had told Bret to go to work while I took her up to the Primary Children's Medical Center ER. I dropped the boys off at their grandparents and then headed to the ER. I remember having to stop several times for Darci to throw up. Looking back I don't think we had really put 2-and-2 together with her symptoms. We had to wait FOREVER in the ER. Not to get back, but in the exam room. We saw the residents, the interns, the head dr. I told the story of why we brought her in about 100 times. She was tired, lethargic, and thirsty... always thirsty. They pretty much diagnosed her quickly, but wanted to run extra tests to be sure. I was feeling slightly numb. I called Bret and asked him to come be with me. I felt SO ALONE. I called my parents and told them the news. I called my sister-in-law. We hadn't been very close lately, but her 4 year old has type 1 and I just needed to tell her. Her reaction to my news was a nasty jolt to my system. Her devastation made me realize that this was going to be HELL. About an hour later Bret showed up and about an hour after that my mom, dad, and sister-in-law showed up. I finally had a support system to lean on and yet I still couldn't cry. They finally let Darci drink something and eat some protein. We got to the ER around 11:00AM and it took us until after 6:00PM to get Darci in a room. Darci was scared and sad. She had to get poked and prodded so much. She got to the point where she didn't want anyone touching her... not even Bret or I. My brother-in-law came to help give Darci, Bret, and I all blessings. The 6 people in that room with Darci... Bret and I, my mom and dad, and Nate and Audra... we all love her so much and we were trying to give her all the love and endurance we could.
Sorry for the novel... I needed to put these memories somewhere.
Since then Darci has matured and grown in ways a 2 year old shouldn't have to. She has shown me how to endure and still be joyful. She didn't let such a hard trial change her sweet personality. Most days she happily deals with her disease.
On the day of her 6 month anniversary I found out that a friend of Audra's had her 8 month old pass away after a 2 month fight with brain cancer. I cannot imagine. I am so grateful that Darci's disease is manageable and that with the help of a FANTASTIC pediatric endocrinologist and loving family she will live a healthy, happy, and high quality life.

3 comments:

Megan said...

You and Darci are troopers and huge example to me. I love you two!

John and Suzy said...

Hey now that I found you, here is my blog jphowardfamily@blogspot.com

John and Suzy said...

Hey that is my moms, this is Pam Gay Howard