Tuesday, September 28, 2010

'Tis the Season...

It never fails. Every year, about a month into school, Christopher (and now Xander) bring home all the new germs that they are encountering in the bathroom, cafeteria, drinking fountains, etc of the school. My boys are good hand washers, but it is still inevitable. Christopher, Xander, and Eliza just got simple colds, but Darci (with her weakened immune system from T1) also endured a double ear infection and strep throat. Thank goodness no one shared in the strep. Bret got a little cold and I was spared due to being on strong antibiotics already.

Bringing to my other medical announcement (?). I've been struggling with stomach issues for a long time now, but beginning of September things just got worse and worse. Between September 5 and 12 I ended up in the Emergency Room 4 times. During the course of that time I endured a CT Scan, MRI, and Endoscopy... along with numerous IVs, drugs, and blood draws. I told the ER to stop sending me home and please find me some answers. A wonderful gastroenterologist discovered I have very severe gastritis and ulcers. I also tested positive for a bacteria called H. Pylori, which exacerbate the ulcers and bleeding and pain. I guess 53% of the population have h. pylori in their stomachs, but when it gets bad enough to become symptomatic they like to get rid of it. Hence the strong antibiotics.
It feels like we just can't catch a break in the medical department. I very much appreciate the medical community, the great advancements in technologies that have allowed disorders, diseases, and illnesses that were once major to be minor, and the easy availability of both. But we need a serious break from it all.
Darci playing with her stickers from the dr. You can kinda tell she didn't feel very good.
It actually ended up being a bad case of teething and a minor cold for Eliza, but it still wiped her out. One minute I could hear her playing with Lightning McQueen... the next it was much too quiet and this is how I found her.

1 comment:

JPHOWARDFAMILY said...

You are an amazing lady. good luck with all your stuff. . . The Diabetes walk look amazing. Your daughter is so tough.