Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Merry Christmas 2008

I read in the paper recently that it is now perfectly acceptable to "blog" your Christmas card/letter. It makes you "green" because you are saving paper, and it makes you financially frugal for not spending postage. But really those are just my excuses for not getting one out this year. My other excuses are the plague we've been enduring for the past 3 weeks and I'm pregnant. Really, I can blame every thing on being pregnant, right? So, our year in review... **Bret is still working at the West Jordan library for Salt Lake County. He's been there several years now and doesn't look to be moving branches anytime soon. He speaks Spanish fluently and they need that at the West Jordan branch. He really does enjoy his work as a librarian. He likes being on the committees that order Rock CDs and he has a good say in the DVDs. It's fun spending tax payer's money. Through a ward split this year (and a total of 3 over the last 5) he has been kept as the ward organist. I don't think he'll ever get away from that one. It's a shame, really. A lot of people are missing out on other great spiritual talents he has, but they love to enjoy his musical talent. The members of the ward have learned that he doesn't need to much notice to get a musical piece right and he gets called for lots of accompaniments. **I've had a busy year. Do ever feel like you do a lot and never get ANYTHING done? Yeah, that's been my year. I redid my kitchen this year with the help and talent of a friend. It turned out beautifully. In the process of DIY home projects I decided (with the help and talent of same friend) to build a salon in my home. It was a challenging and tedious process. I did 95% of the work myself. I demolished the floor and took out a pantry and closet to open up a small bathroom. I did drywall, texture, and paint. And I laid my own laminate floor. I was able to get a steal on a shampoo bowl, chair, and hair station. Once we got it into the room we had to cut half the back off to make it work with the plumbing. We tried putting the toilet back on and it broke. And, after finding out I am pregnant in early September the whole thing got put on hold. So, the door to that room is shut and I'm sorta wishing I never embarked on that journey. And that's where the announcement of the pregnancy comes in. We've had a little spirit nagging us since about April. We finally gave in and after about 3 months of trying we are expecting a little girl around May 8th (which in my pregnancy timline will probably come around middle to end of April). Sometimes the thought of a 4th child scares the Dickins out of me. Most of the time I'm anxious to hold a new little one. I've already started having contractions so we are doing lots of praying and hoping that they will stay mild and that bedrest is still a ways off. I am currently serving in the nursery and I love it. **Christopher is in 1st grade this year and he's an ace. He is naturally smart like his Daddy and enjoys learning and figuring things out. He loves all day school and the first thing he tells me when I pick him up is what he ate at lunch. I wonder how long the novelty of school lunch will continue. Although, I look at his menu and it all looks pretty good. Another area he has grown leaps and bounds this year is in the Gospel. Certain things that seemed to go in one ear and out the other... or completely over his head... are clicking now. His knowledge of spiritual things astounds me. He's not the shortest kid in class anymore and I have to buy him new clothes all too often. He loves animals, especially Grandpa's horse. He is into video games, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, and is LOVING Christmas time. **Xander is my ball of fire. He continues to amaze me all the time. He has stepped into the roll as Mommy's helper and big brother to Darci when Christopher is at school. He is so sweet and tender. And yet, still as stubborn as ever. He is in Joy School this year. That's preschool taught by all the mom's of the kidsin the class. So, I get to teach once every six weeks. He loves his friends from class. Xander is the most excited for a new baby. He kisses, hugs, and pats my belly. We are going to name her Eliza, and he and Christopher want to call her Ellie for short. **Darci is the light in all of our lives. Everyone loves Darci. She is happy and silly and fun and SUCH a girly-girl. She gives lots of loves and kisses. She'll play with light sabers with the boys and then turn around and tote a purse. In the past year she's gone from baby to little girl. She idolizes her brothers and she is a Daddy's girl. She's social and loves to sing. She loves nursery at church and to play with her friends there. I think Xander and Christopher would do ANYTHING for her... and she knows it. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing. She doesn't quite understand that there is a baby on the way and her pedestal is probably going to be lowered a little. We're banking on her sweet, maternal nature to make her a great big sister when Eliza arrives. Despite the ups and downs in life we feel VERY blessed as a family this year and hope that the love and blessing we have in our life can extend to you and yours. MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7 comments:

amy k said...

Merry Christmas! I enjoyed reading your card. I also agree that blogging your card is the way to go. Stamps can add up! I hope you guys start feeling better soon.

BeckyAndGirls said...

I love your e-letter! You are a very good writer, and should consider doing it more often.

Merry Christmas..I love you!

Armstrong Family said...

LOL! What is up with Christopher?! He looks possessed! Good letter!

Katie said...

Love the picture of the kids with Santa. I am thinking next year I am going green as well, such a great idea and you don't miss anyone as long as they can view your blog. Merry Christmas!

Megan said...

Cute picture! Merry Christmas!!

Kaylynne said...

I hope you all feel better. I am going your way with the Christmas Card. I wasn't even sick or pregnant for an excuse, just lazy.

Melinda said...

Merry Christmas!