Thursday, February 19, 2009

Latest OB Appointment

Today I had my regular OB check-up. I'm proud to say there were no extra visits to him or the hospital in between the last one and this one. Today I had my Glucose Tolerance Test. This is where they check you for pregnancy induced or Gestational Diabetes. I have actually felt really lucky that I haven't had this condition in any previous pregnancies. With the genetic predisposition for diabetes and the fact that I have been overweight through most of my pregnancies I probably should have had this. For the test you have to drink a glucose drink... it tastes like an overly sweet orange soda. Then, exactly an hour after you finish the drink they take your blood and look for how well you use the gluclose. At every OB appointment the dr has you do a urine test that checks for high protein or high sugars. Today my urine test was very high in glucose. I've never made the little litmus paper change colors before today. Dr. Barton said it could very well be the glucose drink that spilled into my urine, but he's anxious to get my blood test back. I may have failed my 1-hr glucose test. If I did I have to do a 3-hr fasting test. So, I'm praying and crossing my fingers that I haven't developed this tough condition in my last pregnancy. It can cause lots of complications for the mom and baby. As for everything else. Eliza checks out great and the Dr is going to start seeing me every two weeks now. I'll be 29 weeks tomorrow and right now 30 weeks is a goal for us. I just wanted to make it to 30 weeks without any major problems.

2 comments:

amy k said...

I hope that everything comes back normal and that you keep on "surviving". Even if it's not the results you want, you are a very strong person.

Love and miss ya!

Armstrong Family said...

I hope your glucose levels come back good! I remember Barton said mine was one or two points above and he let it go. With Brady, the first glucose check was too high and the second check was an absolute nightmare so I'm hoping you don't have to do that! We're rootin' for you!