Friday, October 2, 2009

Check Your Boobies!!

October is Cancer Awareness Month. My dear, sweet friend, Joy, just finished round 3 of chemotherapy for a very aggressive type of breast cancer. Her strength and joyful (she is so appropriately named) attitude is such an example to me. From my sweet friend Joy... "Today is the first day of Breast Cancer Awareness month. I just wanted to send a shout out to all of my lovely women friends to PLEASE do your self exams! To all my men friends, please, remind your women friends to do the same. I shudder to think if I had decided not to do a self-exam only four days after my ob gave me an exam! My cancer is aggressive. What if I had waited three or four more months? Six? My lump was deep and hidden, and I still consider it a miracle that I was able to find it. Just know your breasts. Doing your own self exam will save your life! One in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their life time. I promise, you will never think it will happen to you. I still can't believe it! I'm 43 years old! I have an 18 month old baby and I breast fed all my children. There is no cancer on either side of my family. It is my hope and prayer that not one person that I know will ever be diagnosed with this, but if it has to be, my hope is that it will be detected early."

No comments: