Wednesday, March 3, 2010

1 Year of Type 1 Diabetes

A year ago today Darci was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. I've been assaulted with so many memories of a year ago. Our wonderful endocrinologist, Michael Swinyard, has told us to have a big celebration today to honor her strength and bravery. He said Bret and I should celebrate us, too. Mostly I've been crying, though. I am far from "at peace" with this disease, but I'm getting there a little more everyday.

Darci is so brave and strong and she's my hero. Bret and I call her our "ray of sunshine" and "pure joy". In the last year we have had super high glucose numbers and scary, seizure inducing lows. Recently Darci has learned how to test her own blood. She can't even read the number on the meter, but she can put in the test strip and activate it and then she pokes her own finger and squeezes out the blood and applies it to it. If you've ever had to lancet your own finger then you know how hard it is to push that button. And it FREAKIN' HURTS!!!!!!!!
We filled 9- 2liter bottles and 1 small sharps container in 1 year of diabetes. We've estimated it to be about 2400 syringes. That's a lot of shots!!!
I, again, want to thank Nathan, Audra, Brady, and Elise for being a light in the dark through all of this. This past year would have been utter hell without you. Thank you for all the times you have been willing to babysit Darci for emergencies and dates and everything else under the sun.
Brady and Darci. Two of the strongest people I know.
Through the past year we have grown closer as a couple, as a family, and closer to our Savior as we have turned to him through trial and joy. I know one day I'll be able to look back and be grateful for these challenges that have molded my family to be better people.
For now we'll give Darci the most normal life possible; we'll continue to treat her daily and try our best to keep her numbers stable; and, AS ALWAYS, pray for a cure.

7 comments:

Armstrong Family said...

You're SO welcome! Awesome post! That's a lot of syringes! I'm glad you saved them, it puts things in perspective.

Dave and Sherri said...

WOW! I can't believe it's been a year! That's crazy. I hope things are getting more comfortable for you. I know for us it's always an uphill battle - but at least I feel like I know what my options are :) You are a fantastic mom - Darci is so lucky to have you. It truly does take a strong kid to be able to do all they do. Way to go Darci - You are one of my heroes too! :)

Brett and Shendi said...

Beautiful MJ! I am so glad everyone is learning. I still can't believe its been a year.

The Pingels said...

You guys are doing great. You can count one more person you know with Type 1 too, Spencer! He was just diagnosed last week after some medical conditions over the last couple of months. Almost 30, and Type 1! Its not normal, but definitely not unheard of.

JPHOWARDFAMILY said...

WOW!!! I can't even believe how tough a girl she is. I get scared spitless to have my blood sugar checked. You are incredible to. Diabetes is a horrible disease and you guys look like you have done incredible with it. Thank you for the inspiration.

Kimberly T. said...

When I think back through all you've been through this last year, I'm just amazed at your strength. Here's to year number 2 being a much smoother ride. :)

Megan said...

I can't believe it's been a year. Darci (and you too!) are two of the strongest people I know. Thanks for your example!