Wednesday, March 3, 2010

We love you, Orion.

Last night as Bret was getting home from work he heard a cat out on the yard somewhere pitifully crying. After more investigating we discovered it was ours. There were no signs of injury, but his entire back half was dead. I took him to a 24hr vet emergency care and found he had a clot in an important artery. Nothing could be done for him and he was going downhill. So I made the difficult decision to have him euthanized. I held him and cried for a long time before the vet tech did anything. And then I held him and cried some more when they gave the proper injections. He feel asleep peacefully in my arms around 10:45pm last night.

To some it might be silly to cry over a cat. But Orion was a special part of our family. We got him when we first moved into our house in Aug '03. He was a tiny kitten then. He has always done well with each child going through a phase of torturing him. He had a special bond with me through my pregnancies. He would lay protectively over my belly and glare at anyone who got close. He was a constant company during my bedrests. Lately he has had a unique bond with Darci. He liked to climb on her lap and Darci happily gave him all the pets and love he wanted.
His favorite spot when I'm on bedrest
This morning when I told the kids they went through different types of grief. Christopher cried and cried. Xander looked very sad and then brightened a little as he told me that now Orion was in heaven with Heavenly Father and Jesus. Darci didn't quite get it, but keeps telling me that kitty is sick.
Darci and Orion 11/08
Thank you, Orion, for being a special part of our family for over 6 years.

2 comments:

Armstrong Family said...

So sad! I know how you feel though. It's hard to lose a pet, you come to love them so much. I still miss our cats. : (

The Pingels said...

The loss of a pet is always a sad one. Good pets are never forgotten, on earth or in heaven.