Friday, November 7, 2008

Loved or Liked

Is it better to be loved or to be liked? Most people would say loved.

Some of you know that Xander's preferred way to express affection is to say, "I like you". His Grandma Armstrong is often trying to tell him that she loves him and that's even better. But, Xander being Xander, you can't convince him otherwise.
So, I've been thinking... is it really better to be liked or loved. Well, the way Xander says it... it's better to be liked. His young, innocent explanation was way too deep for his age.
Xander: I like you, Mommy.
Me: I like you, too.
Xander: But will you always like me?
Me: Xander, Mommy always loves you not matter what!!!
Xander: MOMMY, I KNOW you'll always love me. Even when I'm being very bad. But will you always LIKE me?
This pulled me up short. How often do we have days where we dislike someone that we will always love. I know I have.
So, I truly believe it is the greatest compliment when Xander comes up to me, wraps his arms around my neck, and exclaims, "Mommy, I LIKE you!".

5 comments:

Megan said...

What a sweetheart! My Mom always has said, I always love you but I don't like the way you are acting right now.
He has a deep heart and mind!

Mark and Becky said...

I like Xander man a lot!!! It was fun tonight. I love you guys so much!

MaryBeth said...

My BIL always says, "I may have to love you but that doesn't mean I have to invite you to my party."

Xander is a very wise little boy.

BeckyAndGirls said...

So true! I like you too, MJ!

Bobbi said...

That is the sweetest thing ever. yOu need to turn that into a scrapbook page for his scrapbook. Precious.