Thursday, November 27, 2008

A sweet and sour Thanksgiving

No, we didn't eat Chinese for Thanksgiving. We spent it with my side of the family, but we spent it with half of us fighting colds... including me, which is totally unfair! Pregnant women shouldn't have to fight illnesses that they can't take medications for. But I digress. Christopher was fine when he woke up in the morning, but by the time we were headed out to Grandma and Grandpa's house he was burning with fever. He went from bouncing off the walls with excitement to see his cousins and eat pumpkin pie to lying listless in bed and refusing all food and company. As crappy as I felt my heart ached for my little man. It broke when he told me how unfair it was that he was sick on such a special day. Bret has been fighting his cold for almost 2 weeks now. It's pretty much gone, but when Bret gets a cough it hangs on forever. I've been sick since about Tuesday. It's hard enough to sleep when pregnant, but harder when you are congested and coughing. That's the sour. THE SWEET... All of my siblings and their families were able to come for Thanksgiving. Despite distances and tight financial situations we were able to all be together. As a lot of Thanksgivings are... it was all about the food. My sister-in-law, Carrie, makes THE most fantastic dips and appetizers, and Lindsey makes a very yummy cheese ball. We spend much of the day munching and grazing on these delectable foods while the big bird cooks. The cousins all played so well together and had a blast. The boys played lots of basketball and football. Lindsey's baby sister and her boyfriend, Kurt, joined us for the chaos. Ali is so sweet and funny and she is so cute with all the kids. They were a great addition to the day. In the middle of the day I started to feel pretty lousy and Lindsey had a medicine suggestion for me (she's due with a little boy 2 weeks before me). And my mom suggested taking a long soak in her jacuzzi tub. It may seem very silly, but I am so thankful for them and their suggestions. The tub was a piece of heaven and the medicine helped me get through the day. Dinner rolled around, and as we always do we went down the line and listed what we are thankful for. My family is known for being a bunch of bawl-baby-boobs and we didn't disappoint. We are all so thankful for our tight knit family unit that is sealed for eternity. For our wonderful and supportive spouses and our beautiful children. For my mom and dad at the head of this family that lead by example and with strength. One of the things I listed last night was how grateful I am for forever families. I told everyone around me that if our family is this great in this earth life imagine how amazing and cool it is going to be in the eternities!!! I am truly grateful and thankful for my wonderful family. Those within the walls of my home and those that are extended. My sweet husband is the very best to be found. He is my very best friend, biggest support, lover, and amazing father. We are equals and partners and companions. He is patient and kind (almost to a fault). My children are the best. I don't have to tell you that. 99% of this blog is dedicated to bragging and telling everyone about them. My mom and dad are my heroes. My brothers and their wives are such great friends and examples. And for it all I only have my Heavenly Father and his only begotten son, Jesus the Christ, to thank for ALL the blessings in my life. HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

BeckyAndGirls said...

John is sick in bed as well today! Same with about 4 guys from his work. And my dad is also fighting a fever. That time of year...yuck!

Feel better soon.

Megan said...

I'm sorry you are all still fighting sickness, I hope you all get well quickly.
It still sounds like you had a wonderful day!