Tuesday, March 10, 2009

My Hero!!

How is it possible that a 2 year old little girl is my hero?
The fact is that Darci has been and is stronger than both Bret and I during this trial in our life. She is only a week into her type-1 diabetes diagnosis and she has proven to have so much strength and endurance. She already sits still for her finger pokes and insulin shots. At this point in her treatment there are a lot. I think the most we counted one day was 13 finger pokes. When we pull out the glucose meter she starts looking at her fingers and then offers the one she would like us to use. Yesterday at breakfast I was preparing her insulin and she pulled up the leg on her pants and pointed to where she wanted her shot. She sometimes whimpers a little, but she never fights it or cries much. We always give her praise and love when we are done and let her know we love her.
Darci, thank you for being the sweet and special little girl you are. You give me the strength to put one foot in front of the other and keep moving forward.

8 comments:

Rachel said...

Your sweet girl is one of the big reasons that I love working in pediatrics. They amaze me every day with their strength. Glad to hear that she is adjusting well.

Unknown said...

Darci is my hero, too. What an amazing girl!

Kim said...

That is so sweet!

ShayLynn said...

I am glad things are going better at least in this area. Your family is strong to endure all that has come your way!

amy k said...

Wow, I can't believe how much has been thrown your way. The good thing is is everyone is okay. Darci is a cutie! (and such a stong one too)!

The Pingels said...

We think it is such a blessing that she was diagnosed this young because she'll grow up never knowing any different. You guys are doing great! My cousin had the pump and it was awesome for her, so thats definitely a possibility for her when she gets older.

DENISE said...

Marissa, you are my Hero!!

Liz King Bradley said...

Sorry, I've been out for a while. You are my hero today. Dealing with the needs of type 1 Diabetes in a child is really taxing, on top of your pregnancy concerns! You must've rubbed off on Darci! I'm proud of BOTH of you!