Friday, March 6, 2009

Where Do I Even Begin?

For several weeks now Darci has been exhibiting some of the signs and symptoms of diabetes. Extreme thirst, frequent urination, and irritability (more than is normal for a 2 year old). We were kind of beating around the bush getting her checked, because she was just checked several months ago and it was negative. Then, I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes... a type of diabetes you only get in pregnancy. I have to control this type with diet and close monitoring of my blood glucose with a meter. On Monday, March 2nd I finally decided that we couldn't hold off on Darci anymore and scheduled her an appointment. But her pediatrician was out of town and couldn't see her for a week. Being the impatient person I am and having this new gadget to check blood glucose, I decided to check her fasting glucose the next morning. When I checked her on Tuesday her blood glucose levels were 322. A child her age should never be above 170. We were off to Primary Children's Medical Center.

On Tuesday, March 2, 2009 my sweet Darci was diagnosed with Type-1 (or Juvenile) Diabetes. We were admitted to the hospital for 3 days of intense education on how to care for this disease. There are so many misconceptions about it. Darci hates all the pokes and needles, but she's getting better. We have a wonderful sister-in-law (Audra) and nephew (Brady, 4 years old)... you, too, Nate and Elise... who did this 2 years ago. Audra has been such a source of support, love, and information. She also referred us to Brady's pediatric endocrinologist, who we have already developed a good rapport with.
I'm sure there is a lot more info for us to share, but we're a little on info overload at the moment. We're home now and adjusting. This is an extremely hard trial, but there have been many, MANY blessings along the way.

3 comments:

Mark and Becky said...

Please Please Please let me know if you need anything. I love you and am praying for you and your family everyday.

Armstrong Family said...

I hope you don't mind me "stealing" some cute photos of Darci for my blog. What a milestone tonight with all the kids! Heavenly Father is truly watching over your family and blessing you all as you adjust and cope.

The Pingels said...

You can do it! What a blessing to already know so many other people that have dealt with this to lean on for support and info. We're thinking of you guys.