Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Welcome to the World!!!!

On March 31, 2009 at 6:30 PM MST 

Eliza Karen made her entrance into this world.
She weighed 7 lbs, 7 oz and measured 20 inches long
This is pretty amazing when you consider she is 5 weeks and 3 days early.  The average baby born at this gestation is around 5 lbs.
Eliza is doing AMAZING and is truly a miracle.  She has required no breathing assistance and has happily taken to nursing.  She is the "healthy" baby in the NICU.  Currently the issues keeping her in the NICU are jaundice, maintaining her own body temperature, and getting her blood glucose levels under control (my gestational diabetes has left her with very low levels).
In fact, I've done poorly in comparison.  Right after arriving in recovery I stood up to get in bed and started bleeding very heavily.  It took about 90 minutes, 6 nurses, 8 different drugs, and 2 resident drs to get everything under control.  It scared Bret and I a great deal.  By yet another miracle I didn't require a transfusion.  They said that even though I lost a lot, my body kicked in and made up for it.  Mostly the ordeal has left me weak and tired, and I may have a longer recovery ahead of me.
Tomorrow I get to go home and it is going to be SOOOOO difficult to do so without Eliza.  The NICU staff will not give you an estimated release date sooner than the due date.  But she is doing so well... barring any set backs, we really think she'll be home by beginning of next week.
Hopefully, once we get Eliza home and healthy things in the Bret and Marissa family will get boring for a little while.  It's been a wild ride the past several months and I'm ready to get off.
Thank you to the NICU nurses for taking some pictures for me to download.

11 comments:

Our Biggs Family said...

Congratulations! She looks beautiful. I love newborn babies! I am so glad she is doing well. We hope she will be home with you soon, too! Take care of yourself and rest all you can. We hope you will get feeling better and have a quick recovery as well! We can't wait to see more pics of your beautiful girl. And, I love the name!

The Hammonds said...

Marissa she is beautiful!!! I hope you both recover quickly and she is able to come home with you soon!!

Rachel said...

Congrats, Marissa! I am glad that everything is going so well. She is very cute. She must look like a little sumo baby there in the NICU with all of those tiny babies!

amy k said...

Congrats! She is beautiful. That is definetly a bigger baby for 5 weeks earlier. It's tough not coming home without a baby but she will be home before you know it. When Katanya was in the NICu and they gave the estimated due date as when she came home it was then I decided never to ask when they thought she would come home. When 3 1/2 weeks came around (instead of 8 weeks) and I went in and the doctor said she was coming home that day, it was the best feeling ever.

Love ya and congrats again!

Dave and Sherri said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm so glad she's here and safe! Great job!

sara,mike,rhett,and gage said...

Congrats! I'm glad everything turned out well for you and your baby! Eliza is such a pretty name.

I'm Just a Silly Girl said...

She is beautiful! Just like we all knew she would be. We are so happy for you guys and are praying for things to keep going well (or at least get resolved when they don't go well). We love you and we can't wait to visit you and the baby!

Anonymous said...

Rest up, Mama!!

Hey, Eliza's future is so bright, she's gotta wear shades!

Inalynn said...

Marissa she is so beautiful. I'm so happy for your family. I hope she gets to come home with you soon.

Molly said...

Congratulations! She's beautiful! No mommy should ever have to leave their baby in the hospital. It pretty much sucks. But she'll be home soon! Keep your chin up! :)

Liz King Bradley said...

I'm so glad it went so well for the baby! If you want so tips for building up your blood a little quicker, give me a call, I bled really bad with my last two..long story. ANyway, congrats! The baby's weight shocked me, it was more than my oldest child's at full-term! That's AWESOME!772-584-3037 If you could delet this post as soon as you get it that would be great!